Thursday 16 April 2015

The truth is out there

Recently with our professional studies we were asked to focus on what our futures might be like as illustrators. This referred to what kind of potential careers were available to us and what doors our degree may open for us. We must consider what kinds of skills we have and will develop and which particular areas these may enable us to study in and progress with, to build up our identities as designers. When we leave, we will have achieved an Honors degree, and should have a very extensive and impressive portfolio.
To enlighten us on the various competition we are faced with within the field, we were shown past students work during our lecture, as well as some of the possible institutions that we could go on to study postgraduate courses, as it is all entirely up to us. Some of these included:

We also discussed the transferrable skills we may gain from achieving our degree. These skills involved things such as the ability to work collaboratively within a team due to teamwork projects whilst studying, creative thinking skills and analytical and organisational skills because of our contextual studies. We talked about how these things would be beneficial in possible careers and within possible post-graduate courses that we could apply for after studying here. We were then asked to research which courses and careers  are available to us when leaving that we would actually like to go on to do. 

I began by searching for which kinds of postgraduate courses are available within the field of art. When looking at the options available in the University for the Creative Arts, I discovered a wide amount of possible courses and some that I would be interested in studying, such as: 
  • Fine Art
  • Ceramics
  • Further studying of illustration
  • Metal work
  • Textiles 
  • Crafts
When researching each course further, I was able to fully understand the possibilities lying within each and what kinds of opportunities each had for me. Each course appeared to be much more in depth learning of the particular topic. 

I then researched what options were more closely available to me after looking out our courses own webpage on the CCAD site. 

Options listed on our site that will be available to me after graduating were the following: 

  • Freelance illustrator or studio illustrator
  • Book illustrator, including children’s books
  • Fashion illustrator
  • Greetings card illustrator / designer
  • Illustration for magazines, editorials and advertising
  • Illustration for products, eg. homeware, fashion, accessories, stationery
  • Working in publishing
  • Printmaker
  • Styling
  • Project management and community arts
  • Postgraduate study, eg. MA Illustration
  • Postgraduate teaching qualifications
  • Teaching and lecturing
Out of the above options, possible areas of progression that I am currently interested in include becoming a book illustrator/children's book illustrator, a freelance illustrator, a greetings card illustrator, illustrator for products, printmaking, publishing and postgraduate studies. 

Right now I am unsure as to which career in particular I would like to progress on to, and I am generally quite keen on the idea of progressing through further studying. Various opportunities offer a Masters degree in Illustration, some I found I liked the look of included: 
If it was possible, I would perhaps like to go on to further study a MA in Fine Art, depending on how my studies go throughout my time on Illustration. This is because I know I have a deep passion for this subject and would always like to keep this option available to me. I also have a personal interest in the idea of one day perhaps becoming an art therapist, so would keep my options available towards the time. In the past I have researched which courses I might have to study in order to achieve this, and understand that the institutions that a training course is available at are quite limited, but I would still like to keep it in mind. The British Association of Art Therapists site holds a lot of information on this subject, as well as what kinds of training and qualifications I may need if this was the kind of route I would like to take when graduating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment