Friday 17 April 2015

What is happening now?

Recently we have been learning about how very important it is to keep up to date with the ever changing world of art. Today, the creative industries within the UK are more relevant than they ever were, Britain has quickly became a leading nation within the art world, which is of great importance to me as this is where I am likely to be based in the near and distant future. It is also greatly important to the economy, and internationally we sell manage to export massive amounts of our work. Having £1 in every £10 of our exports deriving from the art trades, the UK is the second biggest design sector in the world. The creative industries within our country are worth £36 billion, employing 1.5 million yearly.

Recently, Forbes Magazine listed London, the capital of Britain to be the most influential city across the world. The article, to be read here, states that to calculate which country they chose to be the most influential, they had to consider particular factors. Some of which being the amount of investment attracted directly from foreign countries, the number of businesses they control and the financial services provided alongside media and technology power. This proves that as a country Britain is strong with these factors encourages the point that the UK is impressively strong within the creative industries today.

 It is crucial that I keep up to date with things like the current trends and new ideas evolving within the creative field, so that I can grow and evolve my work around this. During our lecture, we were asked to answer the following questions to expand our knowledge upon the current happenings throughout the art world. We discussed most of the answers during, however I would like to answer some of the following here too:

  1. What is this seasons colour? 
  2. Who is the top selling contemporary artist? 
  3. Who won best animation at this years oscars? 
  4. Who won the sundance film festival? 
  5. Who is the leading light in contemporary interiors?
  6. Who is causing waves in the music industry? 
  7. What are the trends in food fashion? 
  8. What is more influential street style or high fashion?

What is this seasons colour? 

Looking at this site for reference, and through visiting high street clothes shops also, I have discovered that neutral/pastel colours are currently in fashion, softer shades and paler tones are most popular right now. 

Who is the top selling contemporary artist? 

This site lists the 30 top selling artists in London, the first one mentioned being Charles Willmott. whose artwork is quite inspired by stage performances. 

Example of Charles Willmotts art found here
Entitled: Royal Ballet Student 2, 2010


Who won best animation at this years oscars? 

When looking at the official website for the oscars, I discovered that the greatest animated feature film was awarded to Disney's Big Hero 6, directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams and produced by Roy Conli. 

Big Hero 6 Poster, found here


Who won the sundance film festival this year? 

Through researching, I found a list of the 2015 award winners here

Who is the leading light in contemporary interiors? 

Upon researching this I immediately discovered that the Interior Deluxe company are the leading contemporary interiors for lighting. I found the following information on their site to prove this point: 

"Interior Deluxe is the leading provider for contemporary lighting in the High End field. We offer an extensive selection of more than 10.000 modern light fixtures from top designers, and modern lighting brands that have the ability to transform any home into an enticing atmosphere."

What are the trends in food fashion? 

I had never before known of 'food fashion' until our lecture, and upon researching it further I found this site that addressed the biggest food trends for 2015. Amongst them, the following were listed: 
  • Foods that are bitter in taste 
  • Quinoa
  • Cauliflower 
  • Fattening foods such as cultured butter made by small dairies, fully fart cheeses and creamy yoghurt.
  • Regional ethnic foods, replacing Indian with Gujerati and Chinese with Shandon.

What is more influential street style or high fashion?

Looking at this site which provided information for which high fashion street brands would be making an appearance this year, and what kinds of street styles they will be introducing throughout the course of the year. 





The importance of me keeping up to date with things such as the above researched topics is great, because it is crucial for me as a young aspiring artist to how an extensive knowledge on things that are currently in trend and popular so that I can keep my target audience appealed. It also assists in inspiring my artistic ideas, which is key. Something I personally take a lot of interest in is book covers, as reading is a huge interest of mine so when visiting book stores or supermarkets, I spend a great time studying the covers of all kinds of books, including childrens ones as this is something I would possibly like to do in the future. Another thing I am interested in is greetings card designs, I find that by looking at these regularly in top stores such as Clintons introduces me to new artists, new ideas as well as keeping me up to date with what is most fashionable right now in terms of colour, design, pattern and mediums. Having awareness of these things enables me to improve and bring further structure to my way of working, and I find keeping up to date with my interests very helpful towards my studies. I now intend to keep up to date with things I may not have considered in the past such as the things I researched earlier, as I now realise the importance of keeping up to date with subjects like that. 

Information on the current trends and happenings is also always available in things like magazines, newspapers, YouTube, Bookshops, Blogs, the Cinema, and even the environment. Personally I find all of these very helpful, as they keep me in touch with what is happening outside of the studio and even far across the world. The environment has influences such as exhibits both locally, nationally and internationally that even if you cannot physically attend can research online or within the news and magazines.  

The environment withholds many other opportunities as well as exhibitions including Network, Form collectives and other events. It is also possible to form our own events in the future which although sounds daunting right now to me is very much possible and is something I would consider doing, maybe even collaborating with my peers or others. 

I now know how hugely important keeping in the know is with 'what is happening now', and intend to keep up to date a great deal more in my future work. Although it is not absolutely vital that I do so, I believe it will help me a great deal with my studies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment