Friday 3 October 2014

Industry Structure

In our second lecture for Professional Studies, we were introduced to 'Industry Structure', and therefore learned about some of our options for industry work upon leaving university, and what types of industries are available for us to work in, and what it would be like. We were firstly introduced to design houses, where we would be employed by a particular design company and work within their house style and whatever their company was about, be it food, flowers, clothes etc. We would have to work from and without briefs, and so either would be bringing our own ideas to the field or developing another persons. We would also be managed by a creative director. I personally do not mind the idea of working from a design house, I find the idea quite interesting right now and feel as though it could be a good option as I do not mind the idea of working for others.
We also learned about what it might be like to become freelance illustrators. This is where we would be working fully for ourselves, with secure commissioned work whenever there was interest by others. Commissions would mean having to work to a legal structure, therefore having to negotiate reasonable prices and work towards meeting targets for potential buyers. I have discovered that I am most likely to become a freelance illustrator after leaving University due to the difficulties of finding work straight away, and therefore will have to consider this option carefully. I must build an extensive portfolio whilst studying, so that I have a great variety of my work constantly available to provide to others when searching for work and trying to earn for my creative work. I am most likely to be earning very little whilst being a freelance artist, and it is therefore essential that I am prepared for this in terms of having a portfolio ready. I do not mind the idea of working independently like this for a short or long term upon graduating, as I feel like this will give me much more experience before finding a steady workplace, and will hopefully allow me to be more known in the industry.
Networking is another option for when I leave, which is similar in terms of independent work. I would have to build a network and support it greatly as well as my market and also introduce myself to new markets. This will help me to expand my opportunities, and I will have to consider creating CV's for this. I will think more carefully about this later, however. Collaborating is an experience very similar, although I would be building a network with other independent artists. This is an idea I find intriguing, as I think it would be quite interesting to work fully and closely with others, and perhaps rather helpful also, as I would be able to gain their opinions and advice to my work and give my own towards theirs. I also think that this might be quite helpful also in terms of becoming more widely known in the industry, as their would be more of us their to promote.
I find the idea of exhibitions interesting also, because here I would be selling my own art and original pieces. I could advertise limited edition works, have installations and would be self initiated. I could install commissioned work. I like the idea of exhibiting but would imagine it to be quite hard to become involved with and would like to research this idea further because of this.
I have discovered that it would be quite important to get to know photographers, so that when I have created works that I would like to advertise etc and for exhibits, I could do it professionally.

Entering competitions is going to be greatly important to me, because if I happened to be successful in my entry it could gain me great recognition both nationally and internationally. It would open many possibilities for me which is very exciting to think about, and would most definitely expose me to a wider audience. Work of mine could be published if it was successful in competitions or even exhibited, which would definitely gain me more recognition. There is also the possibility of prize money involved which would definitely be appreciated as it could help fund for my supplies and everything else that could help me move forward, including traveling to art festivals etc.
Self promoting would definitely help me get to where I need to be. I will be careful to watch how I do this, and which networks to use if doing so online. It is a good idea to create business cards, and send CV's, and I will consider doing so in the near future. I also plan to research competitions soon, and will consider entering some to gain some recognition. I would like to also research new events across the country that I could perhaps visit and get involved with, that focus on illustration and today's young artists. This could help me to meet new artists or illustrators to potentially collaborate with and also give me a better insight as to what is happening in the industry today. At this moment I do not need to worry too much about how I intend to work creatively as an illustrator as I am still currently studying to become one. I will however keep each option that is available to me in mind as I progress through this journey because I still have a lot to learn and my choices and opinions will inevitably alter and develop over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment